Monday, April 26, 2010

Entrusted with the Gospel

This past Saturday my wife and I were treated to the first-ever Canadian Gospel Coalition conference by two wonderful families in the church that have befriended us and greatly encouraged us this year as the Lord continually directs our steps into ministry.

At the conference I experienced the entire gamut of thoughts and emotions. I was encouraged, exhorted, rebuked, edified, and humbled. I am still mentally sorting through much of what I have learned, and I'm sure it will take many more weeks to process and apply the truths that were proclaimed that weekend.

I know this isn't the case, because everyone who was there plentifully received applicable teaching, but I felt as though the entire conference was directed straight at my heart. So much of what was said spoke directly to me and the position I'm in, namely: One who is just beginning a lifetime of ministry and one who has been "entrusted with the gospel" in a special way, because of God's calling. And lest you think that is occasion for pride, it is only by God's grace, and His sovereign choice to use me despite who I am, and despite my weakness, that I am what I am. Which is a constant reminder of the humility this position demands.

Mike Bullmore, who I knew nothing about prior to the conference, gave an incredibly convicting message to conclude the day, entitled: "Entrusted with the Gospel: Communicating the Gospel in a Post-Christian Era." Throughout the entire message all my faculties were working in harmony that I might soak in as much information as possible, which left me exhausted, challenged, and inspired, when it was all over.

What he shared was everything I needed to hear. I have been admonished to be faithful to the gospel and to my calling by entrusting it to the next generation; I have been told to wholly devote myself to faithful, Biblical teaching and preaching. I have been begged to jealously guard and protect the gospel, while boldly proclaiming it so my work is not in vain. I have been shown that my character either adorns, or distorts, the gospel, and that I must guard my character just as ardently as I guard sound doctrine.

I have also been warned of what it will cost me to faithfully minister the gospel. First, it requires hard work, and is often a lonely calling. Here I was warned that "pastoral ministry is a place lazy men can hide," and how chilling that warning was to me, because I know my potential.

Secondly, I was warned of the cost to "self." My energy, my heart, and my life must be devoted to what I teach. It is not simply an objective delivery of doctrine, but it is a giving of myself, which speaks loudly to all. Christ-like humility that understands the cost of love is a universal language, and one in which a minister of the gospel must be fluent.

Third, I was warned that it will cost painful opposition, despite which, I must BOLDLY proclaim the gospel of Christ.

The question to me is: Have I counted the cost? And I believe the answer is yes. By God's grace, I am more excited than ever for pastoral ministry, and although "no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful," I look forward to the work of Christ in my life and in these trials, as He graciously tears the idolatry out of my heart, and diminishes Joel, so that He might increase.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment